Jawline contour is a popular procedure for slimming the jawline and creating a more balanced facial profile. Over time, aging can impact the elasticity of the jawline and create jowls. A sagging jawline can add age to someone’s appearance and also impact the balance of the face. Jawline contour using injections is popular for men and women who want to create a more defined jawline.
Fillers and botox have seen a rise in popularity because there is less recovery time compared to surgery. Furthermore, it is a quick and relatively painless procedure that provides immediate results. Fillers and botox can also be used as preventative measures for younger patients who have not yet experienced facial volume loss.
Expected Results after Jawline Contour
- Decreased appearance of sagging skin
- More definition along jawline
- More youthful and refreshed appearance
Some celebrities such as Angelina Jolie and Robert Pattinson are well-known for their jawline. Angelina Jolie has a well-defined jawline that enhances her facial symmetry while making her look youthful and feminine. Halle Berry also has a sharp jawline that defines her face and features. Robert Pattinson has a square jawline that gives him a chiseled look as compared to the female celebrities.
Ideal candidates for Jawline Contouring
Good candidates for jawline contouring
- Have mild or moderate jowls. Those with excessive jowls may be good candidates for surgical intervention.
- Desire to increase definition in jawline and increase facial balance.
- Patients that have TMJ can benefit from jawline injection.
There are different expected results for jawline contour in men and women. While men might want a more chiseled look that can increase masculinity, women might prefer a soft but defined jawline that does not create a “square face”. A specific type of patient-population that might benefit from jawline contour are Asians. Asians traditionally have flatter and wider faces, which facial contouring can address by adding more length and dimension.
Patients with TMJ can also benefit from jawline injection. The temporomandibular joint connects the mandible to the temporal bone and can become inflamed or overused. Getting injections can help stabilize inflammation and also block the activity of the masseter muscle which can decrease pain.
Surgical intervention is also an option if there is too much loose skin. Some modalities that can contour the jaw are chin implants which can make the jawline look slimmer and kybella injections which can dissolve fat and help contour the jaw.
Jawline contouring is not meant for every patient. For some patients, a jawline contour might create a better angle from the side profile but unflattering views of the front profile. Examples are fillers creating too much angle in the face, making it seem more masculine than feminine. Therefore, fillers and botox should be used with caution.
Jawline Contouring Techniques
The jawline is along the mandible of the face. With more aging, the skin around the jawline can become looser and less defined. Fine placement of fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm through the microdroplet technique can be used to help define the jawline area.
Best fillers to use for non surgical jawline contouring
Restylane Lyft is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid filler. The connectivity of the HA molecules creates a smoother consistency which is ideal for jawline contour. Restylane Lyft also has a high G’ (G-prime) which means that it can resist strain and project shape on the jawline over time. Additionally, HA keeps the tissues soft and allows for more hydration and volume.
Botox is a neurotoxic protein that can be used for TMJ injections and for facial slimming by reducing jawline size. Temporomandibular joint dysfunction causes pain in the jaw which can be treated with botox. Furthermore, botox can also reduce the masseter muscle size on the rear side of the cheek which can also aid in creating a slimmer jawline.
Juvederm Voluma or Juvaderm Ultra Plus
Juvederm Voluma and Juvaderm Ultra Plus are dermal fillers that can lift and restore volume. These Juvaderm products also use hyaluronic acid which can lift and restore volume in the face as well as aid in facial reshaping.
How frequently do I need to perform jawline injections?
Hyaluronic acid fillers should last around 6-18 months depending on how much volume was initially used and how quickly your body metabolizes the products. Results achieved with Botox can last around 3-4 months. Most patients need repeat filler injections once a year.
Before and after Jawline Contour Photos
Non Surgical Jawline Contouring Cost
Preparing for your non surgical Jawline contouring
Proper preparation is important when it comes to minimizing recovery and increasing safety of dermal filler injections. Prior to your appointment it is important to be off of certain supplements and medications as well as to minimize consumption of certain foods that are high in Omega-3 and Omega 6. All of our patients are advised to view our list of “Things to Avoid” prior to injections or surgery.
2 Weeks Before Injections
Follow our dietary restrictions.
- For 2 weeks before your appointment avoid nuts, seeds, fish, fish oil, NSAIDs, supplements, and anything that prolongs bleeding. This will significantly help minimize bruising, bleeding, and swelling after your injections. Read our Guidelines on Foods and Medications to Avoid Prior to Injections.
- You can start Arnica supplements a week prior to injection to help with post injection bruises. Arnica helps to speed up the fading away of bruises. Arnica supplements can be found in most health supplement isles at your local Whole Foods, GMC or CVS, and can be purchased from The Naderi Center as well.
Stopping Medications and Supplements
- Talk to your primary care doctor or physician specialist. If you are on blood thinners, you may need to stop these a few days to weeks prior to your injection treatment. Speak to your prescribing physician regarding if it is safe to stop these medications as well as to obtain instructions about when to stop and restart the medication. We do not recommend patients that are on life saving medications stop their medications in order to have any cosmetic procedures performed.
Prevention of Cold Sores
- Patients prone to cold sores will need to start a prophylaxis dose of an anti-viral medication prior to their injection treatment. Your physician provider will prescribe this medication prior to your treatment.
Familiarize yourself with Risks and Benefits
- Read our filler consent prior to your visit to familiarize yourself with risks and benefits of filler injections.
Day of Injection
Eat and drink before your treatment
- it is not uncommon for patients to “pass-out” or get “vasovagal” during their injection. Most people are not fond of needles. Having good blood sugar levels and being hydrated will make it less likely that you will feel queasy during your treatment.
Minimize make up and lotions
- Please minimize make-up, especially in and around areas where you would like to get injections performed. Our medical assistants will have to remove your make-up prior to the procedure. You can bring make up with you and apply it immediately after your treatment
Come in 30 minutes prior to appointment time for numbing
- We recommend numbing cream application prior to dermal filler injections. The numbing cream needs a good 20 – 30 minutes to exert its full effect, hence we ask all our filler injection patients to come a little earlier to allow for the numbing time.
Reserve your next appointment
- We love our loyal patients, and making sure that we can see you when you need your next injection is important to us. Most of our physicians book out 3 – 4 months and we prefer to never double book patients. We always recommend that you schedule your next appointment before leaving.
Recovery after Jawline Contour
After your filler injection it is normal to have some swelling, pinpoint bleeding, and bruising. If numbing cream was applied for your procedure you will still feel number for another 1-2 hours after your procedure. Please be sure to follow our post procedure instructions in order to minimize swelling, bruising, and decrease downtime.
Ice, Ice, Ice
- Use a small bag of frozen peas in a sandwich bag or crushed ice to gently ice the area. No heavy ice bags. Ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Continue the icing for 48 hours if possible.
Minimize Strenuous Exercise
- We recommend no strenuous exercise for 48 hours in order to reduce swelling and bruising.
Do not manipulate, massage, rub, or poke the area.
- Unless specifically advised by your physician, do not massage or manipulate your face. For one week, avoid facials or rough scrubbing of the face. You can wash your face gently.
Use make-up and concealer to cover up bruises.
- You can use makeup and concealer the day of your injections to cover up any bruising.
Take Arnica supplements
- Arnica supplements can quickly help reduce appearance of bruises.
Eat pineapples and drink pineapple juice
- Pineapples have natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to minimize swelling after injections.
Do not over-evaluate your face the first two weeks
- The first two weeks after injections it is normal to have bruises, swelling, and be asymmetric. We recommend waiting two weeks for swelling and bruising to be completely gone before you can appreciate your final results.
Take Tylenol for Pain
- It is normal to experience some pain and sensitivity in the area of the injection. Most patients find that Tylenol can help relieve this post-injection pain. Avoid NSAIDs such as Motrin and ibuprofen as these can make swelling and bruising worse.
How long will my jawline contour injections last?
Hyaluronic acid filler molecules can last up to 18 months in certain areas of the face. However, the visible effects of the fillers, to the naked eye, can last a shorter period. HA fillers last a shorter time in more dynamic and mobile areas such as lips but last longer in less mobile areas such as the lower eyelid tear troughs or the nose.
“FULL CORRECTION” is an important concept in longevity of the filler results. Full correction refers to fully correcting the problem with the necessary amount of filler. For example, if your doctor feels two syringes of filler would achieve full correction and you opt to have one syringe done, then the results will be shorter lived and you will need more frequent injections.
The proper amount of volume injected as frequently as necessary is the best approach but even a little volume injected less frequently still can help improve wrinkles and lines in many occasions.– Dr. Shervin Naderi, Founder of The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
Cheek and Jaw Contouring Non Surgical to Create Chiseled Face
Risk, Safety, and Potential Complications of Jawline Contouring with Fillers
Common and expected side effects of non surgical jawline contouring include the following:
- May last 1-2 weeks but bad bruises can last up to 4 weeks. That is not abnormal. Bruises can show up several days after the treatment.
- Bruising can be covered with a full coverage concealer such as Neostrata which we sell in the office or Cover Fx brand from Sephora.
- May not always be even from side to side depending on pre-existing facial asymmetry and volume of injection and bleeding at each injection site.
- Initial swelling takes 2 weeks to settle.
- Sleeping propped up and icing can minimize this side effect.
- Avoid exercise first 48 hours or longer as swelling increases when working out.
- Do not manipulate or massage area as this can aggravate swelling.
- Asymmetry can typically be related to swelling. Wait 2 weeks before deciding whether asymmetry is from filler differences or swelling.
- Please keep in mind that once you start to analyze your face it is not rare to start to “notice” new asymmetries that have been there your entire life.
Lumps and Bumps
- The filler is going to feel firmer than your own tissue. Do not massage or manipulate the area.
- The feeling of lumps and bumps usually improves within 2 weeks as swelling resolves.
- 1 syringe of filler is the equivalent of 1/5th of a teaspoon in volume. After swelling subsides there may be a need for additional filler injections if you desire increased volume.
- Our doctors are very conservative and do not over inject patients. Our physicians prefer to add volume slowly with time to achieve patient’s desired look.
- The first time getting injections, the results tend to go away faster. With repeat treatments results last longer as you build your own collagen around the injection sites.
Possible Complications after Jawline Contour
- Hypersensitivity or allergic reactions
- Skin necrosis
- Acne breakout
- Nerve damage
- Injection into salivary gland
RealSelf Most Loved Injector Awards: 2017 Winners Announced, according to patients.
Jawline Contouring Specialists at The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
Dr. Naderi is a board certified facial plastic surgeon and a National Clinical Trainer for Allergan and Medicis. He teaches other doctors how to inject Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane properly. Other doctors from all over the world refer to Dr. Naderi’s instructional videos on YouTube to fine tune and improve their own filler injection techniques.
Dr. Kulak is a facial plastic surgeon with a gentle, artistic female touch and her patient’s love her nearly-pain-free techniques. She focuses on facial rejuvenation with advanced minimally invasive techniques as well as more invasive face lift and eyelid lift surgeries.
Dr. Alexandra Snodgrass is a board certified dermatologist who trained with Dr. Shervin Naderi prior to joining The Naderi Center. Dr. Snodgrass is expert on a variety of filler types and injection area techniques. Dr. Snodgrass’ dermal filler injections create a noticeable yet natural rejuvenation of the face.
Dr. Erica Anderson, board certified plastic surgeon, performs facial filler injections as well as injections on the body. Dr. Erica Anderson is known for her Sculptra® Brazillian Butt Lift. Patient’s desiring to enhance non-facial areas of the body would seek the expert opinion and guidance of Dr. Anderson.
Dr. Shervin Naderi was just named part of the “Top 25 Injectors” by the 10 million member community of RealSelf. Out of 2000 nominees, Dr. Naderi was chosen as Top 25! This is a huge honor being recognized by the national and international community of RealSelf, the most trusted and authoritative site for all unbiased plastic surgery research.
Dr. Naderi is one of only 4 winners in the South East region of the United States. His patients who regularly fly and drive to The Naderi Center from all over the country have already known how great he is for his unique style of Botox and filler injections. Doctors all over the world regularly use his online tutorial videos to learn and enhance their own technique and have always respected Dr. Naderi’s injection skills.
Schedule your Jawline Contouring Consultation
Contact us to schedule a consultation for a non surgical jawline contouring with one of our specialists at The Naderi Center. We are located in the greater Washington DC area with two locations, Chevy Chase, Maryland, 301-222-2020 or Reston, Virginia, 703-481-0002. For out of town patients we offer virtual consultation prior to your visit which can be arranged by filling out our contact us form.
Jawline Contouring FAQs
If you live in the states of Virginia or Maryland, The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology offers jawline contouring among its services. For a full list of services, please visit our Locations page.
"*" indicates required fields