As the years go by, fatty tissue and collagen are naturally depleted from the face. Illness, dramatic weight loss, and genetic disposition can further increase this tissue loss. Eventually, the depletion of facial volume can result in lax, sagging skin and sunken, hollow cheeks. The face may begin to look tired, frail, and unhealthy. This deterioration in facial structure can also add unnecessary years onto the appearance. Once these changes begin, very little can be done to restore a youthful appearance.
Juvederm® Voluma™ XC is the first dermal filler approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to restore lost facial volume in the cheeks and along the jawline. When strategically placed along the cheekbones, Voluma™ XC can restore healthy, proportionate facial contours. It is currently the only FDA approved, noninvasive alternative to cheek implants.
This smooth gel filler is comprised of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance found in healthy skin. A Voluma™ XC treatment will provide patients with immediately noticeable results. As hyaluronic acid encourages the body’s natural collagen production, the results from Voluma™ XC will continue to improve over the following months.
Expected Results from Juvederm® Voluma™
- Improved fullness and volume in the cheeks and mid-face
- Lifted appearance to sagging and flattened cheeks
- Better contoured and defined cheekbones
- Non-surgical chin augmentation
Ideal Candidates for Juvederm® Voluma™ XC
A good candidate for Juvederm® Voluma™
- Demonstrates the early signs of aging, such as a loss of facial volume, increased skin laxity, and development of facial folds and creases
- Has sunken or deflated cheeks
- Is a male or female desiring a more defined and better contoured jawline
- Has a recessed chin and can benefit from more chin projection and definition to improve overall facial balance
- Is in good health and holds reasonable expectations for their results
Injection Technique with Juvederm® Voluma™
Why Choose Voluma™?
Juvederm Voluma™ XC is a unique dermal filler comprised of hyaluronic acid. The smooth gel formula will restore a healthy, sculpted appearance to the cheeks, jawline and chin. Juvéderm Voluma™ uses a special proprietary “Vycross™” technology to cross-link different sized hyaluronic acid molecules to a create a smooth fluid gel that can be nicely sculpted into the face. Vycross™ technology allows some of the newer generation Juvederm fillers to last longer, up to two years in some cases.
Voluma™’s ability to lift the skin distant to where it has been injected also may eliminate the need to inject fillers into certain wrinkles and folds. For example, in place of injecting your “smile lines” also known as nasolabial folds, your physician may opt to use Voluma™ in the cheeks to lift the cheeks and consequently diminish the appearance of the of “smile lines”.
How many syringes of Voluma™ will I need?
Younger patients with fuller fat pads require 1-2 syringes to enhance and better contour the cheeks. Some young individuals with genetically flatter cheeks may require more volume than 1-2 syringes.
With age fat in the face loses volume and the skin and face begin to sag. As much as 4-8 syringes may be recommended for patients experience significant mid-face hollowness. Our physicians will never “over-fill” the face and will always bare on the conservative side to help you achieve a more youthful rejuvenated face.
1 -3 syringes per side to achieve a more contoured and defined jaw-line and camouflage potential jowls.
1-3 syringes to achieve a better projected more contoured chin which will enhance the cervicle-mental angle.
Where can Voluma™ be injected?
Voluma™ has been FDA approved for use in the mid-face and the chin. Off label uses include jaw-line contouring.
How is the injection performed?
We ask that patients arrive 30 minutes prior to their appointment time for a topical numbing cream to be applied. Voluma™ can be injected using a variety of injection techniques including micro-droplet with sharp needles to cannula injection method. After your injection you will be provided with ice packs and encouraged to ice the injected area for the next day or two. You are welcome to reapply your make-up or concealer to cover up any bruising that may have occurred.
Juvederm Voluma™ Before and After Photos
|Filler Type||Cost Per Syringe|
|Voluma™ XC 1cc||$900-1000|
|TEAR TROUGH INJECTION||$1000/syringe
**May need 1 – 2 syringes
|NON-SURGICAL RHINOPLASTY||$2500 Initial treatment
$1200 Maintenance treatment
**Maintenance done w/in 6 months of prior injection
Click here to check all dermal filler injection pricing.
Allergan Brilliant Distinctions® Rewards
The Naderi Center participates with the Brilliant Distinctions Rewards programs and Brilliant Distinctions® rebates can be redeemed at the time of your appointment for your Voluma™ treatment.
Naderi Customer Loyalty Rewards Program
The Naderi Center offers a Customer Loyalty Rewards Program where patients receive 10% back in injection credit at their next a visit.
Preparing for Voluma™ Injections
Proper dermal filler preparation is important when it comes to minimizing recovery and increasing safety of Voluma™ injections. Prior to your appointment it is important to be off of certain supplements and medications as well as to minimize consumption of certain foods that are high in Omega-3 and Omega-6. All of our patients are advised to view our list of “Things to Avoid” prior to injections or surgery.
2 Weeks Before Injections
Follow our dietary restrictions.
- For 2 weeks before your appointment avoid nuts, seeds, fish, fish oil, NSAIDs, supplements, and anything that prolongs bleeding. This will significantly help minimize bruising, bleeding, and swelling after your injections. Read our Guidelines on Foods and Medications to Avoid Prior to Injections.
- You can start Arnica supplements a week prior to injection to help with post injection bruises. Arnica helps to speed up the fading away of bruises. Arnica supplements can be found in most health supplement isles at your Whole Foods, GMC or CVS, as well as purchased from The Naderi Center.
Stopping Medications and Supplements
- Talk to your primary care doctor or physician specialist. If you are on blood thinners you may need to stop these a few days to weeks prior to your injection treatment. Speak to your prescribing physician regarding if it is safe to stop these medications as well as to obtain instructions about when to stop and restart the medication. We do not recommend patients that are on life saving medications stop their medications in order to have any cosmetic procedures performed.
Prevention of Cold Sores
- Patients prone to cold sores will need to start a prophylaxis dose of an anti-viral medication prior to their injection treatment. Your physician provider will prescribe this medication prior to your treatment.
Familiarize yourself with Risks and Benefits
- Read our filler consent prior to your visit to familiarize yourself with risks and benefits of filler injections.
Day of Injection
Eat and drink before your treatment
- It is not uncommon for patients to “pass-out” or get “vasovagal” during their injection. Most people are not fond of needles. Having a good blood sugar and being hydrated will make it less likely that you will feel queasy during your treatment.
Minimize make up and lotions
- Please minimize make-up, especially in and around areas where you would like to get injections performed. Our medical assistants will have to remove your make-up prior to the procedure. You can bring make up with you and apply it immediately after your treatment
Come in 30 minutes prior to appointment time for numbing
- We recommend numbing cream application prior to dermal filler injections. The numbing cream needs a good 20 – 30 minutes to exert its full effect, hence we ask all our filler injection patients to come a little earlier to allow for the numbing time.
Reserve your next appointment
- We love our loyal patients and making sure that we can see you when you need your next injection is important to us. Most of our physicians book out 3 – 4 months and we prefer to never double book patients. We always recommend that you schedule your next appointment before leaving.
Recovery after Voluma™ Injections
After your filler injection it is normal to have some swelling, pinpoint bleeding, and bruising. If numbing cream was applied for your procedure you will still feel numb for another 1-2 hours after your procedure. Please be sure to follow our post procedure instructions in order to minimize swelling, bruising and decrease downtime.
Ice, Ice, Ice
- Use a small bag of frozen peas in a sandwich bag or crushed ice to gently ice the area. No heavy ice bags. Ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Continue the icing for 48 hours if possible.
Minimize Strenuous Exercise
- We recommend no strenuous exercise for 48 hours in order to reduce swelling and bruising.
Do not manipulate, massage, rub, or poke the area.
- Unless specifically advised by your physician, do not massage or manipulate your face. For one week, avoid facials or rough scrubbing of the face. You can wash your face gently.
Use make-up and concealer to cover up bruises.
- You can use makeup and concealer the day of your injections to cover up any bruising.
Non-surgical rhinoplasty patients should avoid glasses if they “dig into” the injection region
- Bring your glasses to your appointment to show Dr. Shervin Naderi if they would be appropriate to wear after non-surgical rhinoplasty. Additionally, if you are an avid swimmer mention the use of swim goggles during your consultation.
Take Arnica supplements
- Arnica supplements can quickly help reduce appearance of bruises.
Eat pineapples and drink pineapple juice
- Pineapples have natural anti-inflammatory properties to them that help to minimize swelling after injections.
Do not over-evaluate your face the first two weeks
- The first two weeks after injections it is normal to have bruises, swelling, and be asymmetric. We recommend waiting two weeks for swelling and bruising to be completely gone before you can appreciate your final results.
Take Tylenol for Pain
- It is normal to experience some pain and sensitivity in the area of the injection. Most patients find that Tylenol can help relieve this post-injection pain. Avoid NSAIDs such as Motrin and ibuprofen as these can make swelling and bruising worse.
Risks, Safety, and Potential Complications after Voluma™
Common and expected side effects of dermal filler injections include the following:
- May last 1-2 weeks but bad bruises can last up to 4 weeks. This is normal. Bruises can show up several days after the treatment.
- Bruising can be covered with a full coverage concealer such as Neostrata, which we sell in the office, or Cover Fx brand from Sephora.
- Tear troughs and lips are more likely to bruise because these areas are more vascular than other parts of the face.
- May not always be even from side to side depending on pre-existing facial asymmetry and volume of injection and bleeding at each injection site.
- Initial swelling takes 2 weeks to settle.
- Sleeping propped up and icing can minimize this side effect.
- Avoid exercise first 48 hours or longer as swelling increases when working out.
- Do not manipulate or massage area as this can aggravate swelling
- Asymmetry can be related to swelling. Wait it 2 weeks before deciding whether asymmetry is from filler differences or swelling.
- Please keep in mind that once you start to analyze your face, it is not rare to start to “notice” new asymmetries that have been there your entire life.
Lumps and Bumps
- The filler is going to feel firmer than your own tissue. Do not massage or manipulate the area.
- The feeling of lumps and bumps usually improves within 2 weeks as swelling resolves.
- 1 syringe of filler is the equivalent of 1/5th of a teaspoon in volume. After swelling subsides there may be a need for additional filler injections if you desire increased volume.
- Our doctors are very conservative and do not over inject patients. Our physicians prefer to add volume slowly with time.
- The first time after getting injections the results tend to go away faster. With repeat treatments results last longer as you build your own collagen around the injection sites.
- Lips will also be more dry post injections. Ice the areas and keep lips lubricated with Vaseline or Aquaphor. No more than 20 minutes of ice at a time.
- You may experience temporary itching at injection sites, this can be normal. However if there is severe swelling and warmth please inform your physician.
Possible complications after dermal filler injections
- Hypersensitivity or allergic reactions
- Cold sore or herpes simplex virus outbreak
- Acne breakout
- Skin necrosis
- Intra-vascular injection leading to skin necrosis and even blindness
- Sterile abscess
Please notify our office immediately if you feel that you may be experiencing any of the above possible complications after your filler injections.
RealSelf Most Loved Injector Awards: 2017 Winners Announced, according to patients.
Juvederm Voluma™ Injection Specialists at The Naderi Center
Dr. Naderi is a board certified facial plastic surgeon and a National Clinical Trainer for Allergan and Medicis. He teaches other doctors how to properly inject the Juvederm collection of fillers, including Volbella™. Other doctors from all over the world refer to Dr. Naderi’s instructional videos on YouTube to fine tune and improve their own filler injection techniques.
Dr. Kulak is a facial plastic surgeon with a gentle and artistic, female touch. Her patient’s love her nearly-pain-free techniques. She focuses on facial rejuvenation with advanced minimally invasive techniques as well as more invasive face lift and eyelid lift surgeries.
Dr. Alexandra Snodgrass is a board certified dermatologist who trained with Dr. Shervin Naderi prior to joining The Naderi Center. Dr. Snodgrass is expert on a variety of filler types and injection area techniques. Dr. Snodgrass’s dermal filler injections create a noticeable yet natural rejuvenation of the face.
Dr. Erica Anderson, board certified plastic surgeon, performs facial filler injections as well as injections on the body. Dr. Erica Anderson is known for her Sculptra® Brazillian butt lift. Patient’s desiring to enhance non-facial areas of the body would seek the expert opinion and guidance of Dr. Anderson.
Dr. Shervin Naderi was just named one of the “Top 25 Injectors” by the 10 million member community of RealSelf. Out of 2000 nominees, Dr. Naderi was chosen as Top 25! This is a huge honor being recognized by the national and international community of RealSelf, the most trusted and authoritative site for all unbiased plastic surgery research.
Dr. Naderi is one of only 4 winners in the South East region of the United States. Patients regularly fly and drive to The Naderi Center from all over the country for his unique style of Botox and filler injections. Doctors all over the world regularly use his online tutorial videos to learn and enhance their own technique and have always respected Dr. Naderi’s injection skills.
Schedule your Voluma™ Consultation
Dermal fillers, including Juvederm Voluma™, can dramatically improve and take years off of ones appearance without surgery. If you would like more information on Voluma™ or any of the other noninvasive techniques available from The Naderi Center, schedule a consultation. Fill out our online Contact Us form, or call the Reston, Virginia office at 703-481-0002 or the Chevy Chase, Maryland office at 301-222-2020.