Submental Liposuction (also known as Neck Liposuction, Chin Liposuction or “Chin Lipo”) is a facial cosmetic procedure that helps decrease the appearance of a “double chin” or fat under the chin/neck. This achieves a more sculpted and better-defined neckline. For patients who are at or near their ideal weight yet still struggle with stubborn fat under the chin, Neck Liposuction may be the ideal solution.
Expected results after Chin Liposuction
- Decreased appearance of sagging chin and neck skin
- More definition along chin/neck area
- More youthful and refreshed appearance
- Decreased appearance of folds around neckline
Jawline contouring with facial liposuction is something that both male and females can undergo. Female celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez, Megan Fox and Kim Kardashian are examples of women with sharp jawlines and a smooth neckline. Male celebrities like Henry Cavill and Timothee Chalamet also have very masculine angular jaw lines.
Some of our favorite celebrity jawlines!
Procedure Snap Shot
|What is the pain level after the surgery?||Minor discomfort|
|Cost of Surgeon’s Fee||$5,000 – $7,500|
|Anesthesia type (if applicable)||General anesthesia|
|Duration of Surgery||90 minutes|
|Where will scaring for this procedure be?||Hidden incisions are typically underneath the ear|
|Timeframe to begin showing final results||1 to 2 months healing improves|
|When is the patient able to return to regular activities?||1 week|
Ideal candidates for Submental Liposuction
Good candidates for Neck Liposuction
- Has a “double chin” due to excess fat cells around the neck.
- Desire to increase definition in jawline and create a more youthful appearance.
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles and permanently remove fat cells.
- Have good skin elasticity, patients that have loose skin are better candidates for a facelift or necklift.
- Are at ideal weight and cannot get rid of excess under chin with diet changes or exercise.
Submental Liposuction Techniques
A chin lipo aims to remove the subcutaneous fat under the neckline area. Since the fat is directly removed, this should lead to a permanently slimmer neck and jaw area. Furthermore, microcannula technique liposuction can be used to allow for faster healing and less potential for scarring. The surgeon will usually make two small well-hidden incisions underneath the ears to allow for entry of the liposuction cannula. These incisions are so small that they are usually closed with just one stitch. Procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia.
For patients desiring a less invasive approach to the treatment of submental fat, other non-surgical procedures include Kybella® fat melting, skin tightening through ultherapy, radiofrequency skin tightening, and cool sculpting. Those with less fat deposits under the chin/jaw area may be better suitable for less invasive non-surgical treatments.
Kybella® is an injectable that permanently dissolves fatty tissue in the desired area. Kybella® is suitable for patients that have good skin firmness with small under chin fat. Kybella® does not tighten the skin. Kybella® is usually done in a series of 2-3 sessions spaced out a few weeks apart until the desired slimming effect is achieved.
Radiofrequency (RF) Skin Tightening
Radiofrequency Lifting uses an electric current and controlled heat to stimulate collagen production. RF skin tightening heats up the skin dermal layers to jump start collagen production and melt unwanted fat. RF skin tightening is slightly uncomfortable and a local anesthetic is usually administered to allow for patients to tolerate the procedure. Multiple treatments sessions are recommended to achieve desired results.
Ultherapy® Ultrasound Skin Tightening
Ultherapy® uses ultrasound energy to increase the production of collagen and create a smoother skin appearance. Collagen is a protein that maintains skin elasticity and firmness. Ultherapy® can tighten the area around the jawline and also decrease the appearances of wrinkles. Results from Ultherapy® take months to appreciate and treatment boosters are recommended.
CoolSculpting® is another popular alternative to Chin Liposuction. CoolSculpting® involves no injections, anesthesia or cosmetic surgery. The subcutaneous fat is cooled and the fat is destroyed in the process, leading to a slimmer jawline and chin profile. However, more treatments may be needed to achieve desired results. Furthermore, the cooling temperature may be uncomfortable for some patients.
Before and after Chin Liposuction Photos
Pricing for Submental Liposuction
There are a variety of factors that determine the overall cost of your Chin Liposuction procedure.
- Surgeons fee: $5,000 – $7,500
- Anesthesia Fee: depends on length of procedure
- Hospital and Surgical Facility Fees: depends on length of procedure
- Post-Surgery Garments and Recovery Device: included with surgeon’s fee at The Naderi Center
- Pre-Surgical Medical Clearance and Lab Tests: usually covered by medical insurance
- Medication Costs: usually covered by medical insurance
- Follow-Up Visits: Included with surgeon’s fee at The Naderi Center
Preparation for Submental Liposuction Surgery
At the Naderi Center we advise all patients to follow are preoperative and post-operative instructions in order to optimize surgical results. All patients will be required to obtain a medical clearance as well as encouraged to follow our dietary and medication guidelines prior to surgery. Please see our preop instructions for complete details on preparing for chin liposuction.
Submitted to your pharmacy. Your pharmacy should contact you when ready to pick up.
Stool Softener (preferably MiraLAX)
Helps with constipation associated with narcotic pain relievers.
ternative to narcotic pain medication if pain is not severe. Do NOT take NSAIDS.
Take 3 tablets, 3 times a day, starting 3 days before your procedure date.
Provided to you by The Naderi Center.
3-4 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY
- Obtain Medical Evaluation and Clearance. Make a visit to your primary care doctor to complete your medical evaluation and laboratory testing. Your surgeon may request for you to also be evaluated by a specialist. Please ensure any preoperative requests are completed 2 weeks before surgery.
- Work and Recovery Arrangements. Make any arrangements to be off from work or other strenuous activities while you are recovering from surgery. Have extra help available, particularly if caring for small children.
- Smoking. Tobacco, cigarettes and nicotine consumption will cause poor wound healing, longer healing times, and excessive scarring. We advise to discontinuing these products more than 4 weeks prior to surgery.
2 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY
- Surgery Preop Appointment. You will come in for your preop appointment where you will review the surgery plan with your surgeon and go over logistical surgery details with your patient coordinator. Bring your questions as well as any individuals that will be part of your support and healing.
- DIET/SUPPLEMENT RESTRICTIONS. Avoid foods, drinks and herbal supplements than can increase risk of bleeding and bruising. Avoid aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Motrin, blood thinners, vitamin E, omega-3, fish oil, and alcohol. Use Tylenol in place of other over the counter pain medications.
- Fill Prescriptions. These may include antibiotics and/or pain medication for after surgery. Make sure you understand how and when to take all medications. We suggest keeping a note pad to keep track of the medications you have taken.
NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT OR SURGERY WILL BE CANCELLED. If prescribed, take medications with a small sip of water.
- Set Up Home Recovery Area: This may include pillows, blankets, books, television, and anything else to assist with a comfortable recovery.
- Bathing: You can shower but do not apply lotion, perfume, hair products, etc.
- Shaving: If you have facial hair, you should shave the night before or morning of your surgery so that the area is free of hair.
DAY OF SURGERY
- Dress Comfortably: Dress in comfortable, clean, and loose-fitting clothes. Shirts that can be buttoned or zipped up are preferred.
- DO NOT wear any makeup, jewelry, cosmetic creams, hair products, deodorant, sunscreen, and remove all piercings.
Recovery after Submental Liposuction
Recovery after chin liposuction may require that you take off from work for 5-7 days and avoid strenuous activity for 2-3 weeks until all swelling has improved. A compression wrap is provided and must be worn for one week after surgery. There are no sutures to be removed. Most patients will start to see improvement in swelling and final results at around 1 month after the procedure. We advise patients to diligently follow our post-operative instructions to promote healing and recovery.
Risk, safety, and potential complications of Submental Liposuction
After chin liposuction the following are expected:
- Mild bleeding/drainage. It is common to experience a small amount of bloody drainage from the liposuction access sites for the first several days after the procedure.
- Bruising is a very common side effect of chin liposuction. You may have bruising under the chin that extends farther down the neck and even onto the chest. Most bruises will heal after about 2-3 weeks. The bruise will go from a purplish color to a yellow/green shade as it starts to resolve.
- Swelling is to be expected for weeks and sometimes months. The swelling can improve with intermittent rest. Exercise and physical activity can transiently worsen swelling but is encouraged. Total resolution of swelling and skin shrinkage can take up to 3-6 months.
- Itching at the incision sites is normal for a few days.
- Pain. It is normal to experience tightness, pressure, shooting pain, soreness, and fatigue for several days to weeks following surgery as your body recovers.
- Sensory changes in the skin. There is usually an area of numbness under the chin following a liposuction procedure. This is temporary and will resolve with time.
- Excessive bleeding and bruising
- Pulmonary complications
- Skin infection
- Fat embolism: fat can break off and become trapped in blood vessels
- Excess fluid accumulation
- Nerve damage
Submental Liposuction specialist, Dr. Jessica Kulak
Liposuction is an extremely popular procedure, and many surgeons offer it. Because of this, it is important to do your research and choose a board certified plastic surgeon. Dr. Jessica Kulak is a liposuction specialist, offering natural-looking body contouring that helps patients look and feel their best. Dr. Kulak emphasizes safety and results, and helps customize a treatment plan for each patient & their individual needs.
Schedule your Submental Liposuction consultation
The Naderi Surgery Center is known for being the source of physicians and surgeons that are specialized in their realm and scope of practice. Schedule your chin liposuction consultation today to see if you are candidate for this procedure. We offer two convenient location, Reston, Virginial 703-481-0002 and Chevy Chase, Maryland office at 301-222-2020.
Submental Liposuction FAQs
If you live in the states of Virginia or Maryland, The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology offers submental liposuction among its services. For a full list of services, please visit our Locations page.
"*" indicates required fields