Submental Liposuction is a procedure that helps decrease the appearance of a “double chin” or fat under the chin/neck area. This achieves a more sculpted and better-defined neckline. For patients who are at or near their ideal weight yet still struggle with fat under the chin, submental liposuction may be the ideal solution.
Expected results after Submental Liposuction
- Decreased appearance of sagging skin around neck area
- More definition along chin/neck area
- More youthful and refreshed appearance
- Decreased appearance of folds around neckline
Jawline contouring with liposuction is something that both male and females can undergo. Female celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez, Megan Fox and Kim Kardashian are examples of women with sharp jawlines and a smooth neckline. Male celebrities like Henry Cavill and Timothee Chalamet also have very masculine angular jaw lines.
Some of our favorite celebrity jawlines!
Procedure Snap Shot
|What is the pain level after the surgery?||Minor discomfort|
|Cost of Surgeon’s Fee||$5,000 – $7,500|
|Anesthesia type (if applicable)||General anesthesia|
|Duration of Surgery||90 minutes|
|Where will scaring for this procedure be?||Hidden incisions are typically underneath the ear|
|Timeframe to begin showing final results||1 to 2 months healing improves|
|When is the patient able to return to regular activities?||1 week|
Ideal candidates for Submental Liposuction
Good candidates for submental liposuction
- Has a “double chin” due to excess submental fat.
- Desire to increase definition in jawline and create a more youthful appearance.
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles and permanently remove fat.
- Have good skin elasticity, patients that have loose skin are better candidates for a facelift or necklift.
- Are at ideal weight and cannot get rid of excess under chin with diet changes or exercise.
Submental Liposuction Techniques
Submental liposuction aims to remove the subcutaneous fat under the neckline area. Since the fat is directly removed, this should lead to a permanently slimmer neck and jaw area. Furthermore, microcannula technique liposuction can be used to allow for faster healing and less potential for scarring. The surgeon will usually make two small well-hidden incisions underneath the ears to allow for entry of the liposuction cannulas. These incisions are so small that they are usually closed with just one stitch. Procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia.
For patients desiring a less invasive approach to the treatment of submental fat, other non-surgical procedures include KybellaÒ fat melting, skin tightening through ultherapyÒ, radiofrequency skin tightening and cool sculpting. Those with less fat deposits under the chin/jaw area may be better suitable for less invasive non-surgical treatments.
Kybella® is an injectable that permanently dissolves fatty tissue in the desired area. Kybella® is suitable for patients that have good skin firmness with small under chin fat. KybellaÒ does not tighten the skin. KybellaÒ is usually done in a series of 2-3 sessions spaced out a few weeks apart until the desired slimming effect is achieved.
Radiofrequency (RF) Skin Tightening
Radiofrequency Lifting uses an electric current and controlled heat to stimulate collagen production. RF skin tightening heats up the skin dermal layers to jump start collagen production and melt fat. RF skin tightening is slightly uncomfortable and local anesthesia is usually administered to allow for patients to tolerate the procedure. Multiple treatments sessions are recommended to achieve desired results.
Ultherapy® Ultrasound Skin Tightening
Ultherapy® uses ultrasound energy to increase the production of collagen and create a smoother skin appearance. Collagen is a protein that maintains skin elasticity and firmness. Ultherapy® can tighten the area around the jawline and also decrease the appearances of wrinkles. Results from Ultherapy® take months to appreciate and treatment boosters are recommended.
CoolSculpting® is another popular alternative to submental liposuction. CoolSculpting® involves no injections, anesthesia or surgical procedures. The subcutaneous fat is cooled and the fat is destroyed in the process, leading to a slimmer jawline and chin profile. However, more treatments may be needed to achieve desired results. Furthermore, the cooling temperature may be uncomfortable for some patients.
Before and after Submental Liposuction Photos
Pricing for Submental Liposuction
There are a variety of factors that determine the overall cost of your submental liposuction procedure.
- Surgeons fee: $5,000 – $7,500
- Anesthesia Fee: depends on length of procedure
- Hospital and Surgical Facility Fees: depends on length of procedure
- Post-Surgery Garments and Recovery Device: included with surgeon’s fee at The Naderi Center
- Pre-Surgical Medical Clearance and Lab Tests: usually covered by medical insurance
- Medication Costs: usually covered by medical insurance
- Follow-Up Visits: Included with surgeon’s fee at The Naderi Center
Preparation for Submental Liposuction Surgery
At the Naderi Center we advise all patients to follow are preoperative and post-operative instructions in order to optimize surgical results. All patients will be required to obtain a medical clearance as well as encouraged to follow our dietary and medication guidelines prior to surgery. Please see our preop instructions for complete details on preparing for submental liposuction.
Recovery after Submental Liposuction
Recovery after submental liposuction may require that you take off from work for 5-7 days and avoid strenuous activity for 2-3 weeks until all swelling has improved. A compression wrap is provided and must be worn for one week after surgery. There are no sutures to be removed. Most patients will start to see improvement in swelling and final results at around 1 month after the procedure. We advise patients to diligently follow our post-operative instructions to promote healing and recovery.
Risk, safety, and potential complications of Submental Liposuction
After submental liposuction the following are expected:
- Mild bleeding/drainage. It is common to experience a small amount of bloody drainage from the liposuction access sites for the first several days after the procedure.
- Bruising is a very common side effect of submental liposuction. You may have bruising under the chin that extends farther down the neck and even onto the chest. Most bruises will heal after about 2-3 weeks. The bruise will go from a purplish color to a yellow/green shade as it starts to resolve.
- Swelling is to be expected for weeks and sometimes months. The swelling can improve with intermittent rest. Exercise and physical activity can transiently worsen swelling but is encouraged. Total resolution of swelling and skin shrinkage can take up to 3-6 months.
- Itching at the incision sites is normal for a few days.
- Pain. It is normal to experience tightness, pressure, shooting pain, soreness, and fatigue for several days to weeks following surgery as your body recovers.
- Sensory changes in the skin. There is usually an area of numbness under the chin following a liposuction procedure. This is temporary and will resolve with time.
Potential risks with submental liposuction include:
- Excessive bleeding and bruising
- Pulmonary complications
- Skin infection
- Fat embolism: fat can break off and become trapped in blood vessels
- Excess fluid accumulation
- Nerve damage
Submental Liposuction specialist, Dr. Jessica Kulak
Liposuction is an extremely popular procedure, and many surgeons offer it. Because of this, it is important to do your research and choose a highly qualified surgeon. Dr. Jessica Kulak is a liposuction specialist, offering natural-looking body contouring that helps patients look and feel their best. Dr. Kulak emphasizes safety and results, and helps customize a treatment plan for each patient & their individual needs.
Schedule your Submental Liposuction consultation
The Naderi Center is known for being the source of physicians and surgeons that are specialized in their realm and scope of practice. Schedule your submental liposuction consultation today to see if you are candidate for this procedure. We offer two convenient location, Reston, Virginial 703-481-0002 and Chevy Chase, Maryland office at 301-222-2020.