Chin enhancement with dermal fillers is a procedure that can be done in the office without the risks and downtime that comes with surgical chin augmentation. Dermal fillers applied to the chin region can help to correct a variety of unwanted chin concerns.
Chin augmentation can be performed to both enhance a recessed and under-projected chin, as well as to create a more contoured and sculpted appearing chin. Dermal fillers can also be used to correct any asymmetries along the chin. Some individuals do not like the appearance of a “dimpled” chin and fillers can be used to fill in and smoothen out unwanted chin dimples. For some individuals that have a mild case of a “double chin,” placing filler along the chin can help to diminish the appearance of excess fat under the neck. Chin fillers can also be used to hide some of the effects of aging by diminishing appearance of jowls. Lastly, some patients undergo chin augmentation with fillers in order to see how they feel about undergoing a permanent chin augmentation with a chin implant.
Expected Results after Chin Augmentation with Fillers
- Improved chin projection
- More defined and contoured chin
- Potentially decreasing the appearance of a double chin
- Diminished chin “dimples” or “butt chin”
- Diminished jowl appearance
- Better overall facial and neck harmony
Ideal Candidates for Chin Filler
Good candidates for chin fillers
- Desire to have a better defined chin area
- Seek to get rid of any chin dimples
- Want to improve overall symmetry along their chin
- Have mild appearing jowls that can be hidden with dermal filler applied along the chin-jaw line
- Would like to enlarge the appearance of their chin as well as increase its projection
- Desire to create the effect that a surgical chin augmentation would achieve, prior to actually undergoing surgery
Technique for Chin Enhancement with Fillers
Depending on the type of chin correction desired your physician provider will determine where and how much filler will be needed to achieve the anticipated results. The type of filler used is also important when it comes to addressing different chin concerns.
Filler is placed along the chin to jawline or was is called the “pre-jowl sulcus” to soften the appearance of any loose and sagging skin contributing to the formation of “jowls.” Typically a softer and more gel like filler such as Juvederm Vollure would be used to correct this type of deformity.
Dimpled or Cleft Chin
Chin dimpling or cleft chin may be seen as attractive on some individuals and for others it may be bothersome to their appearance. Regardless of type of chin dimpling or cleft chin, most can be smoothened out with dermal fillers.
A recessed or under-projected chin can really distort facial harmony and balance. A small chin can make the lower part of the face appear sunken and consequently exaggerate the size of the upper half of the face. Using dermal fillers that are more structured and firmer our physicians can build the size of a chin comparable to what can be achieved surgically with chin implants.
Most cases of double chin correction should be done either with non-surgical options such as Kybella or surgical neck liposuction. In cases where there is a mild “double chin” and potentially a component of a recessed chin, dermal fillers can provide some improvement smoothening the neckline.
Male vs. Female Chin Contouring
When contouring male and female chins it is important to understand that male chins are usually fuller and more square shape, while the preference for female chins is to be narrower and more rounded.
Surgical Chin Augmentation
Patient’s undergoing dermal filler chin enhancement may need repeated filler injections every 6 months to 2 years depending. The timing for repeat injections depends on the intial filler volume used and how quickly their body metabolizes the hyaluronic acid fillers. Surgical chin augmentation with a chin implant provides a long-term solution to repeat filler injections. May patients use dermal filler injections as a means for seeing whether they would like a larger and more projected chin. Chin augmentation achieved with fillers is reversible and if someone were to regret their decision they can have the fillers melted or just wait for the filler to go away on its own with time. After surgical chin augmentation, if the results were not pleasing to a patient, they would have to undergo a second surgery to remove the chin implant.
How many syringes are needed for a filler chin augmentation?
1 syringe of filler is the equivalent of 1/5th of a teaspoon in volume. After swelling subsides there may be a need for additional filler injections if you desire increased volume. Our doctors are very conservative and do not over inject patients. Our physicians prefer to add volume slowly with time to achieve desired results. The first-time getting injections the results tend to go away faster. With repeat treatments results last longer as you build your own collagen around the injection sites.
Every person has a different facial structure depending on number of injected areas and facial features, required filler volume can range anywhere between 1 to 3 syringes. The number of syringes will be determined during the consultation.
Pricing of Chin Enhancement with Fillers
|FILLERS||Cost Per Syringe|
|Juvederm Ultra XC® 0.5cc||$500|
|Juvederm Ultra XC® 1cc||$700|
|Juvederm Ultra PLUS XC® 1cc||$800|
|Volbella XC® 0.55cc||$500|
|Volbella XC® 1cc||$850|
|Voluma XC® 1cc||$900|
Allergan Brilliant Distinctions Rewards
The Naderi Center participates with the Brilliant Distinctions Rewards programs and Brilliant Distinctions rebates can be redeemed at the time of your appointment.
Aspire® Galderma Rewards
The Naderi Center participates with the Aspire® Galderma Rewards programs and Aspire rebates can be redeemed at the time of your appointment.
Naderi Customer Loyalty Rewards Program
The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology offers a Customer Loyalty Rewards Program where patients receive 10% back in injection credit at their next a visit.
Preparing for your chin filler injections
Proper dermal filler preparation is important when it comes to minimizing recovery and increasing safety of injections. Prior to your appointment it is important to be off of certain supplements and medications as well as to minimize consumption of certain foods that are high in Omega-3 and Omega 6. All of our patients are advised to view our list of “Things to Avoid” prior to injections or surgery.
2 Weeks Before Injections
Follow our dietary restrictions.
- For 2 weeks before your appointment avoid nuts, seeds, fish, fish oil, NSAIDs, supplements, and anything that prolongs bleeding. This will significantly help minimize bruising, bleeding and swelling after your injections. Read our Guidelines on Foods and Medications to Avoid Prior to Injections.
- You can start Arnica supplements a week prior to injection to help with post injection bruises. Arica helps to speed up the fading away of bruises. Arnica supplements can be found in most health supplement isles at your Whole Foods, GMC or CVS, as well as purchased from The Naderi Center.
Stopping Medications and Supplements
- Talk to your primary care doctor or physician specialist. If you are on blood thinners you may need to stop these a few days to weeks prior to your injection treatment. Speak to your prescribing physician regarding if it is safe to stop these medications as well as to obtain instructions about when to stop and restart the medication. We do not recommend patients that are on life saving medications stop their medications in order to have any cosmetic procedures performed.
Prevention of Cold Stores
- Patients prone to cold sores will need to start a prophylaxis dose of an anti-viral medication prior to their injection treatment. Your physician provider will prescribe this medication prior to your treatment.
Familiarize yourself with Risks and Benefits
- Read our filler consent prior to your visit to familiarize yourself with risks and benefits of filler injections.
Day of Injection
Eat and drink before your treatment
- it is not uncommon for patients to “pass-out” or get “vaso-vagal” during their injection. Most people are not fond of needles. Having a good blood sugar and being hydrated will make it less likely that you will feel queasy during your treatment.
Minimize make up and lotions
- Please minimize make-up, especially in and around areas where you would like to get injections performed. Our medical assistants will have to remove your make-up prior to the procedure. You can bring make up with you and apply it immediately after your treatment
Come in 30 minutes prior to appointment time for numbing
- We recommend numbing creme application prior to dermal filler injections. The numbing creme needs a good 20 – 30 minutes to exert its full effect, hence we ask all our filler injection patients to come a little earlier to allow for the numbing time.
Reserve your next appointment
- We love our loyal patients and making sure that we can see you when you need your next injection is important to us. Most of our physicians book out 3 – 4 months and we prefer to never double book patients. We always recommend that you schedule your next appointment before leaving.
Recovery after Filler Injection
After your filler injection it is normal to have some swelling, pinpoint bleeding and bruising. If numbing creme was applied for your procedure you will still feel number for another 1-2 hours after your procedure. Please be sure to follow our post procedure instructions in order to minimize swelling, bruising and decrease downtime.
Ice, Ice, Ice
- Use a small bag of frozen peas in a sandwich bag or crushed ice to gently ice the area. No heavy ice bags. Ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Continue the icing for 48 hours if possible.
Minimize Strenuous Exercise
- We recommend no strenuous exercise for 48 hours in order to reduce swelling and bruising.
Do not manipulate or massage or rub or poke the area.
- Unless specifically advised by your physician, do not massage or manipulate your face. For one week avoid facials or rough scrubbing of the face. You can wash your face gently.
Use make-up and concealer to cover up bruises.
- You can use makeup and concealer the day of your injections to cover up any bruising.
Take Arnica supplements
- Arnica supplements can quickly help reduce appearance of bruises.
Eat pineapples and drink pineapple juice
- Pineapples have an natural anti-inflammatory properties to them that help to minimize swelling after injections.
Do not over-evaluate your face the first two weeks
- The first two weeks after injections it is normal to have bruises, swelling and be asymmetric. We recommend waiting two weeks for swelling and bruising to be completely gone before you can appreciate your final results.
Take Tylenol for Pain
- It is normal to experience some pain and sensitivity in the area of the injection. Most patients find that Tylenol can help relieve this post-injection pain. Avoid NSAIDs such as Motrin and ibuprofen as these can make swelling and bruising worse.
How long will my filler last?
Hyaluronic acid filler molecules can last up to 18 months in certain areas of the face. However the visible effects of the fillers, to the naked eye, can last a shorter period. HA fillers last a shorter time in more dynamic and mobile areas such as lips but last longer in less mobile areas such as the lower eyelid tear troughs or the nose.
“FULL CORRECTION” is an important concept in longevity of the filler results. Full correction refers to fully correcting the problem with the necessary amount of filler. For example, for deep nasolabial folds or smile lines, 2 to 3 syringes of Restylane may be required for the best results or “full correction.”
However, if a patient chooses to only use 1 syringe, optimal results will not be reached. While the filler material injected may be present for up to a year or more, the “visible results” may not be appreciated for more than just a few days! This phenomenon occurs because immediately after the injection, the patient visibly notices the “improvement” but after a few days when the initial swelling settles down, the patient will rightly think he or she needs more volume, and wrongly think “the Restylane must have all been absorbed.” Patients often forgot the starting point and how deep the lines were in the first place.
These type of problem exists when the full amount of necessary volume is not injected in the first place. This is why “full correction” is so important. At The Naderi Center we pride ourselves in educating each patient on how to reach their best results with injectables. This is part of our consultation process.
The proper amount of volume injected as frequently as necessary is the best approach but even a little volume injected less frequently still can help improve wrinkles and lines in many occasions.– Dr. Shervin Nader, Founder of The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
How often do I need to repeat injections?
Repeat injections of dermal fillers are needed to maintain or improve results.
Factors affecting how often injections need to be repeated
- Filler type
- Volume previously injected
- Area on face injected
Juvederm Ultra Plus and Perlane tend to last longer than Restylane or Juvederm Ultra. Belotero lasts less than the other HA fillers. These effects are due to the actual Hyaluronic acid concentration in each syringe of dermal filler as well as their “cross linking” or “bonding pattern.” The more concentrated and the more cross-linked, the longer they last. However there are distinct differences and advantages as well as disadvantages with each of these fillers.
Risks, Safety and Potential Complications of Dermal Fillers
Common and expected side effects of chin filler injections include the following:
- May last 1-2 weeks but bad bruises can last up to 4 weeks. That is not abnormal. Bruises can show up several days after the treatment.
- Bruising can be covered with a full coverage concealer such as Neostrata which we sell in the office or Cover Fx brand from Sephora.
- May not always be even from side to side depending on pre-existing facial asymmetry and volume of injection and bleeding at each injection site.
- Initial swelling takes 2 weeks to settle.
- Sleeping propped up and icing can minimize this side effect.
- Avoid exercise first 48 hours or longer as swelling increases when working out.
- Do not manipulate or massage area as this can aggravate swelling
- Asymmetry can be related to swelling. Give it 2 weeks and before deciding whether asymmetry is from filler volume differences or swelling.
- Please keep in mind that once you start to analyze your face it is not rare to start to “notice” new asymmetries that have been there your entire life.
Lumps and Bumps
- The filler is going to feel firmer than your own tissue. Do not massage or manipulate the area.
- The feeling of lumps and bumps usually improves within 2 weeks as swelling resolves.
- 1 syringe of filler is the equivalent of 1/5th of a teaspoon in volume. After swelling subsides there may be a need for additional filler injections if you desire increased volume.
- Our doctors are very conservative and do not over inject patients. Our physicians prefer to add volume slowly with time to achieve
- The first time getting injections the results tend to go away faster. With repeat treatments results last longer as you build your own collagen around the injection sites.
Possible complications after dermal filler injections
- Hypersensitivity or allergic reactions
- Cold sore or herpes simplex virus outbreak
- Acne breakout
- Skin necrosis
- Intra-vascular injection leading to skin necrosis and even blindness
- Sterile abscess
Please notify our office immediately if you feel that you may be experiencing any of the above possible complications after your filler injections.
Filler Injection Specialists at The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
RealSelf Most Loved Injector Awards: 2017 Winners Announced, according to patients.
Dr. Naderi is a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and a National Clinical Trainer for Allergan and Medicis. He teaches other doctors how to inject Juvederm and Restylane and Perlane properly. Other doctors from all over the world refer to Dr. Naderi’s instructional videos on YouTube to fine tune and improve their own Filler injection Techniques.
Dr. Kulak is a Facial Plastic Surgeon with a gentle, artistic female touch and her patient love her nearly-pain-free techniques. She focuses on facial rejuvenation with advanced minimally invasive techniques as well as more invasive face lift and eyelid lift surgeries.
Dr. Alexandra Snodgrass is a board certified dermatologist who trained with Dr. Shervin Naderi prior to joining The Naderi Center. Dr. Snodgrass is expert on a variety of filler types and injection area techniques. Dr. Snodgrass’s dermal filler injections create a noticeable yet natural rejuvenation of the face.
Dr. Erica Anderson, board certified plastic surgeon performs facial filler injections as well as injections on the body. Dr. Erica Anderson is known for her Sculptra® Brazillian Butt Lift. Patient’s desiring to enhance non-facial areas of the body would seek the expert opinion and guidance of Dr. Anderson.
Dr. Shervin Naderi was just named “Top 25 Injector” by the 10 million member community of RealSelf. Out of 2000 nominees, Dr. Naderi was chosen as Top 25!!! This is a huge honor being recognized by the national and international community of RealSelf, the most trusted and authoritative site for all unbiased plastic surgery research.
Dr. Naderi is one of only 4 winners in the South East region of the United States. His patients who regularly fly and drive to The Naderi Center from all over the country for his unique style of Botox and Filler injections have known how good he is. The doctors all over the world who regularly use his online tutorial videos to learn and enhance their own technique have always respected Dr. Naderi’s injection skills. But now it is official. Dr. Naderi is in a class so exclusive that only 25 out of 2000 can claim they are most beloved injector.
Schedule your Chin Enhancement Consultation
Contact us to schedule a consultation for jawline contouring with one of our specialists at The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology. We are located in the greater Washington DC area with two locations, Chevy Chase, Maryland, 301-222-2020 or Reston, Virginia, 703-481-0002. For out of town patients we offer virtual consultation prior to your visit which can be arranged by filling out our contact us form.