Dramatic weight loss is an impressive accomplishment, whether the result of diet and exercise, or bariatric surgery. This life-changing journey takes patience and commitment, but can ultimately be extremely rewarding. Unfortunately, many people that have undergone a massive weight loss find they cannot achieve the body of their dreams, even once they achieve their weight goal. Loose, sagging skin that does not retract, even with exercise, keeps the body from looking toned and shapely. This excess skin not only keeps clothing from fitting properly, it can also rub and chafe, making physical activity difficult and uncomfortable.
Body contouring is a set of specialized surgical techniques designed to effectively eliminate the hanging fat and skin that remain after dramatic weight loss. At the Naderi Center, each body contouring procedure is uniquely assembled for each individual patient’s needs. A treatment plan may include a combination of a lower body lift, upper body lift, tummy tuck, arm lift, back lift, thigh lift, breast lift, liposuction or numerous other additional techniques.
Body Contouring Expected Results
- Improved aesthetically pleasing body shape and size
- A figure that allows for clothing to be more flattering
- Reduced excess loose skin and tissue
- Liposuction will remove localized fat tissue resistant to diet and exercise
- Tummy Tuck surgery will flatten the abdomen and contour the waistline
- Arm Lift or Brachioplasty can remove flabby fatty tissue and skin underneath the upper underarm
Ideal Candidate for Body Contouring
A good candidate for body sculpting
- Has significant weight loss either through diet, exercise or bariatric surgery
- Has drooping skin in multiple areas (back, neck, thighs, stomach)
- Is at a stable and ideal weight
- Is healthy and does not have any health conditions that will hinder healing and surgical recovery.
- Is a non-smoker
Body Contouring can address the following body parts:
- Chin or neck
Surgical Techniques with Body Contouring
Dr. Anderson’s body contouring procedures will be performed at a local accredited surgical center, using general anesthesia. Most techniques are performed as outpatient procedures, however in some cases an overnight stay may be recommended for a safer and easier recovery. Depending on the number of techniques desired, body contouring procedures can either be performed during one single surgery or spaced out over several operations. A body contouring procedure can take from two to four hours.
Types of Primary Body Contouring Procedures
Upper Body Lift
- Back: correct sagging tissue along the back
- Breast Lift: improve appearance of sagging, flat and droopy breasts, sometimes combined with breast augmentation
- Gynecomastia Surgery: used to correct excess skin or fatty tissue in the male breast region
- Upper arms/Arm Lift: improve sagging tissue underneath the upper arms
Lower Body Lift
- Tummy Tuck: improve loose and excess skin and fat in the abdominal region
- Thigh lift: improve appearance of sagging and loose tissue in the inner and outer thighs
- Buttock lift: improve appearance of sagging skin below the buttocks
Before & After Photos
Cost of Body Contouring Surgery
There are a variety of factors that determine the overall cost of your Body Contouring Surgery. Often times body contouring surgery is performed in stages in order to optimize results and recovery.
- Surgeons fee varies depending on number of procedures being performed.
- Anesthesia Fee – depends on length of procedure
- Hospital and Surgical Facility Fees: depends on length of procedure
- Post-Surgery Garments: included with surgeon’s fee at The Naderi Center
- Pre-surgical Medical Clearance and lab tests: usually covered by medical insurance
- Medication Costs: usually covered by medical insurance
- Follow-up Visits: Included with surgeon’s fee at The Naderi Center
Preparation for Body Contouring
At The Naderi Center we believe the success of any cosmetic procedure can be improved with proper patient preparation. We go above and beyond to make sure that our patients are medically, emotionally and physically ready for surgery.
Please review our detailed instructions on Body Contouring Preparation in the link below.
Recovery after Body Contouring Procedures
Generally, recovery from body contouring will take about two weeks. Depending on the extent of correction patients are ready to return to work in two to four weeks. Mild to moderate pain and tenderness are to be expected, hence assistance at home during the initial recovery period is suggested. Light activities can be gradually resumed, however exercise and heavy lifting are to be postponed for four to six weeks.
Dr. Anderson will provide a prescription for pain medication(s) to ease discomfort during the healing process. Swelling is normal and a compression garment may be needed for several weeks. Bruising may also be noticeable, although this should resolve quickly. Some of the results from body contouring can be seen immediately, however the primary benefits will take several weeks as the swelling dissipates and the body heals.
Risks, Safety and Potential Complications with Body Sculpting
Body contouring is an invasive surgery. While Dr. Anderson’s techniques are considered safe and effective, complications can occur as with any surgical procedure. Dr. Anderson will carefully discuss the potential for complications during the consultation.
Possible Complications after Body Contouring can include
- Risks of general anesthesia
- Excessive bleeding
- Skin changes or discoloration
- Poor incision healing
- Fluid accumulation or what is known as a seroma
- Nerve damage or numbness on the skin
- Asymmetry with results
- Death of fatty tissue or fat necrosis
- Need for revision surgery
Body Contouring Specialist, Dr. Erica Anderson
The Naderi Center’s Dr. Erica Anderson is one of the country’s most respected body contouring surgeons. She has more than 15 years of experience helping patients through every aspect of their body contouring needs. Dr. Anderson understands aesthetic surgery is a delicate matter, so she removes the stress from body rejuvenation procedures by creating a complete treatment plan, including detailed pre and post-operative instructions
During your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Erica Anderson you will undergo a through evaluation and examination to determine a customized plan for body contouring. Dr. Anderson will make sure that your aesthetic goals are in line with what is surgically achievable. After answering questions, she will share before/after photographs of recent body contouring patients. Dr. Anderson will explain the various available options in body contouring to assist with the excess skin and fatty tissue. After reviewing the benefit, drawbacks, and cost of the procedure, it will be determined if this is the right time to move ahead with body contouring. Sometimes Dr. Anderson may request that you lose a some more weight if she feels that your results will be optimized with some additional weight loss. A combination of liposuction with lift surgery may be recommended. Our friendly and knowledgable patient coordinator will discuss logistics of moving forward with surgery including date, recovery timeline, costs, financing and necessary pre-surgical clearance.
Schedule your Body Contouring Consultation
To find out more about body contouring following weight loss, contact the Naderi Center in Reston, Virginia at 703-481-0002 or in Chevy Chase, Maryland at 301-222-2020. We are happy to answer your questions and address any concerns you may have. Consultation appointments can be scheduled with Dr. Anderson at either office, as well as online for those patients from outside of the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. area.
Body Contouring Questions to Ask
What is body contouring?
Body contouring refers to a group of surgical procedures designed to eliminate the lax, stretched skin that remains following major weight loss. Depending on the individual patient’s needs, a few of the techniques may include a tummy tuck, thigh lift, buttock lift, arm lift, or breast lift.
Will my body contouring procedure scar?
Yes, the body contouring procedure will leave permanent scars. Dr. Anderson will carefully place her incisions with the intent for minimizing scarring and ensuring they are easily concealed under clothing. It is important to remember that most patients feel some scarring is worth the final, sculpted body they can achieve.
How soon will I see results from my body contouring procedure at the Naderi Center?
While patients can notice some benefits immediately after their body contouring procedure, it will take several weeks to heal and for the swelling to resolve. Therefore, the final results may take six to twelve months to become fully apparent.
When can I exercise after a body contouring procedure?
Light activities can be gradually resumed following a body contouring procedure, however vigorous exercise and heavy lifting must be postponed for three to six weeks. This is an important time for the body to heal, so patience is key.
Will my body contouring recovery be painful?
Mild to moderate discomfort can be expected following body contouring. Dr. Anderson will prescribe the necessary pain medication for a comfortable recovery. During this time, you will also be very tired, so assistance at home is encouraged for at least the first week of recovery.