Volbella™ is a cutting-edge dermal filler, made from a hyaluronic acid (HA), a substance naturally found in healthy tissues. Approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe way to restore shape to thinning lips, Volbella™ holds little chance for serious complications. The unique filler was designed specifically for the lips and the delicate peri-oral tissue around the mouth. Volbella™ smooth formula gives patients curvaceous lips for up to a full year.
Plump, full lips are the hallmark of a youthful, feminine appearance. Not everyone is born with an enviable pout and those that are, may see their perfect pucker fade over time. Until the last decade, there has been little choice for improving the shape of the lips. Implants require an invasive procedure and long-term commitment that many patients are simply not ready for. Juvederm Volbella™ offers patients a non-invasive approach to youthful and fuller lips.
Expected Results with Juvederm Volbella™ XC
- Eliminate vertical lip lines
- Highlight vanishing lip borders
- Plump the upper and lower lip
- Enhance the ‘M’ or Cupid’s Bow along the upper lip
- Off label indications when performed by experienced medical providers include injection for treatment of tear troughs (under eyes), fine superficial facial lines, and acne scars
Ideal Candidates for Juvederm Volbella™
A good candidate for Volbella™
- Has thin lips
- Has fine lines around the mouth
- Has lost some of their previous lip projection with aging
- Has noticed that their lip’s “cupid’s bow” has started to flatten out
- Has started to experience downturn of the corners of the mouth
- Are in overall good health and not on any medically necessary blood thinners
- Has realistic expectations of results
I have always appreciated the smooth consistency of JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA™ XC’s, which allows me to perform micro-droplet injections almost effortlessly, with less risk for lumps or bumps. The smaller needle also means my patients have less discomfort and pain during the treatments.– Dr. Shervin Naderi, Founder of The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
Injection Technique with Juvederm Volbella™
Why choose Volbella™?
Juvederm Volbella™ is unique from other dermal fillers in that the smooth gel contains a low concentration hyaluronic acid (HA). Volbella™ uses Juvederm’s proprietary Vycross™ technology, giving it an ultra-creamy texture that injects smoothly, delivering organic-looking results. The formula is designed specifically for the lips and delicate tissue around the mouth. Taking in less water than traditional fillers, Volbella™ allows for better results with less chance for swelling. FDA-approved as a safe method for lip enhancement, the HA in Volbella™ is absorbed by the body over time. The results from treatment can be seen immediately and will last up to 12 months, after which time a repeat session is necessary to maintain the benefits.
How many syringes of Volbella™ will I need?
Most patients will need one syringe of Volbella™ 1cc for lip injections, with touch-ups being every 6 months to a year.
Most patients will need 1 -2 syringes of Volbella™ 1 cc for the tear troughs, with touch-up injections done every year.
FINE LINES/ACNE SCARS
Depending on the amount of fine lines and acne scars being treated most patients require 1 syringe of Volbella™ 1 cc with touch-ups every six months.
Where can Volbella™ be injected?
Volbella™ is FDA approved for the treatment of thin lips and peri-oral lines. Off label uses of Volbella™ can include tear troughs (under eye circles), acne scars, fine lines, and wrinkles.
How is the injection performed?
We ask that patients arrive 30 minutes prior to their appointment time for a topical numbing cream to be applied. Volbella™ can be injected using a variety of injection techniques including micro-droplet with sharp needles to cannula injection method. After your injection, you will be provided with ice packs and encouraged to ice the injected area for the next day or two. You are welcomed to reapply your make-up or concealer to cover up any bruising that may have occurred.
Juvederm® Volbella™ Before and After Photos
|Filler Type||Cost Per Syringe|
|Volbella™ XC 0.55cc||$500|
|Volbella™ XC 1cc||$850|
|TEAR TROUGH INJECTION||$1000/syringe|
**May need 1 – 2 syringes
|NON-SURGICAL RHINOPLASTY||$1800 Initial treatment|
$800 Maintenance treatment
**Maintenance done w/in 6 months of prior injection
Click here to check all dermal filler injectables pricing.
Allergan Brilliant Distinctions® Rewards
The Naderi Center participates with the Brilliant Distinctions Rewards programs and Brilliant Distinctions rebates can be redeemed at the time of your appointment.
Naderi Customer Loyalty Rewards Program
The Naderi Center offers a Customer Loyalty Rewards Program where patients receive 10% back in injection credit at their next a visit.
Preparing for Volbella™ Injections
Proper dermal filler preparation is important when it comes to minimizing recovery and increasing safety of Volbella™ injections. Prior to your appointment it is important to be off of certain supplements and medications as well as to minimize consumption of certain foods that are high in Omega-3 and Omega-6. All of our patients are advised to view our list of “Things to Avoid” prior to injections or surgery.
2 Weeks Before Injections
Follow our dietary restrictions.
- For 2 weeks before your appointment avoid nuts, seeds, fish, fish oil, NSAIDs, supplements, and anything that prolongs bleeding. This will significantly help minimize bruising, bleeding, and swelling after your injections. Read our Guidelines on Foods and Medications to Avoid Prior to Injections.
- You can start Arnica supplements a week prior to injection to help with post injection bruises. Arnica helps to speed up the fading away of bruises. Arnica supplements can be found in most health supplement isles at your local Whole Foods, GMC or CVS, as well as purchased from The Naderi Center.
Stopping Medications and Supplements
- Talk to your primary care doctor or physician specialist. If you are on blood thinners you may need to stop these a few days to weeks prior to your injection treatment. Speak to your prescribing physician regarding if it is safe to stop these medications as well as to obtain instructions about when to stop and restart the medication. We do not recommend patients that are on life saving medications stop their medications in order to have any cosmetic procedures performed.
Prevention of Cold Sores
- Patients prone to cold sores will need to start a prophylaxis dose of an anti-viral medication prior to their injection treatment. Your physician provider will prescribe this medication prior to your treatment.
Familiarize yourself with Risks and Benefits
- Read our filler consent prior to your visit to familiarize yourself with risks and benefits of filler injections.
Day of Injection
Eat and drink before your treatment
- It is not uncommon for patients to “pass-out” or get “vasovagal” during their injection. Most people are not fond of needles. Having a good blood sugar and being hydrated will make it less likely that you will feel queasy during your treatment.
Minimize makeup and lotions
- Please minimize make-up, especially in and around areas where you would like to get injections performed. Our medical assistants will have to remove your make-up prior to the procedure. You can bring make up with you and apply it immediately after your treatment
Come in 30 minutes prior to appointment time for numbing
- We recommend numbing cream application prior to dermal filler injections. The numbing cream needs a good 20 – 30 minutes to exert its full effect, hence we ask all our filler injection patients to come a little earlier to allow for the numbing time.
Reserve your next appointment
- We love our loyal patients and making sure that we can see you when you need your next injection is important to us. Most of our physicians book out 3 – 4 months and we prefer to never double book patients. We always recommend that you schedule your next appointment before leaving.
Recovery after Volbella™ Injections
After your filler injection, it is normal to have some swelling, pinpoint bleeding, and bruising. If numbing cream was applied for your procedure you will still feel numb for another 1-2 hours after your procedure. Please be sure to follow our post procedure instructions in order to minimize swelling, bruising, and decrease downtime.
Ice, Ice, Ice
- Use a small bag of frozen peas in a sandwich bag or crushed ice to gently ice the area. No heavy ice bags. Ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Continue the icing for 48 hours if possible.
Minimize Strenuous Exercise
- We recommend no strenuous exercise for 48 hours in order to reduce swelling and bruising.
Do not manipulate, massage, rub, or poke the area.
- Unless specifically advised by your physician, do not massage or manipulate your face. For one week avoid facials or rough scrubbing of the face. You can wash your face gently.
Use make-up and concealer to cover up bruises.
- You can use makeup and concealer the day of your injections to cover up any bruising.
Non-surgical rhinoplasty patients should avoid glasses if they “dig into” the injection region
- Bring your glasses to your appointment to show Dr. Shervin Naderi if they would be appropriate to wear after non-surgical rhinoplasty. Additionally, if you are an avid swimmer mention the use of swim goggles during your consultation.
Take Arnica supplements
- Arnica supplements can quickly help reduce appearance of bruises.
Eat pineapples and drink pineapple juice
- Pineapples have natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to minimize swelling after injections.
Do not over-evaluate your face the first two weeks
- The first two weeks after injections it is normal to have bruises, swelling, and be asymmetric. We recommend waiting two weeks for swelling and bruising to be completely gone before you can appreciate your final results.
Take Tylenol for Pain
- It is normal to experience some pain and sensitivity in the area of the injection. Most patients find that Tylenol can help relieve this post-injection pain. Avoid NSAIDs such as Motrin and ibuprofen as these can make swelling and bruising worse.
Risks, Safety, and Potential Complications after Volbella
Common and expected side effects of dermal filler injections include the following:
- May last 1-2 weeks but bad bruises can last up to 4 weeks. This is normal. Bruises can show up several days after the treatment.
- Bruising can be covered with a full coverage concealer such as Neostrata, which we sell in the office, or Cover Fx brand from Sephora.
- Tear troughs and lips are more likely to bruise because these areas are more vascular than other parts of the face.
- May not always be even from side to side depending on pre-existing facial asymmetry, volume of injection, and bleeding at each injection site.
- Initial swelling takes 2 weeks to settle.
- Sleeping propped up and icing can minimize this side effect.
- Avoid exercise first 48 hours or longer as swelling increases when working out.
- Do not manipulate or massage area as this can aggravate swelling.
- Asymmetry can be related to swelling. Give it 2 weeks and before deciding whether asymmetry is from filler volume differences or swelling.
- Please keep in mind that once you start to analyze your face it is not rare to start to “notice” new asymmetries that have been there your entire life.
Lumps and Bumps
- The filler is going to feel firmer than your own tissue. Do not massage or manipulate the area.
- The feeling of lumps and bumps usually improves within 2 weeks as swelling resolves.
- The risk of lumps and bumps is less with Volbella™ due to the gels smooth consistency.
- 1 syringe of filler is the equivalent of 1/5th of a teaspoon in volume. After swelling subsides, there may be a need for additional filler injections if you desire increased volume.
- Our doctors are very conservative and do not over inject patients. Our physicians prefer to add volume slowly with time to achieve desired final results.
- The first time after getting injections the results tend to go away faster. With repeat treatments results last longer as you build your own collagen around the injection sites.
- Lips will also be more dry post injections. Ice the areas and keep lips lubricated with Vaseline or Aquaphor. No more than 20 minutes of ice at a time.
- You may experience temporary itching at injection sites, this can be normal. However, if there is severe swelling and warmth, please inform your physician.
Possible complications after dermal filler injections
- Hypersensitivity or allergic reactions
- Cold sore or herpes simplex virus outbreak
- Acne breakout
- Skin necrosis
- Intra-vascular injection leading to skin necrosis and even blindness
- Sterile abscess
Please notify our office immediately if you feel that you may be experiencing any of the above possible complications after your filler injections.
RealSelf Most Loved Injector Awards: 2017 Winners Announced, according to patients.
Juvederm Volbella™ Injection Specialists at The Naderi Center for Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
Dr. Naderi is a board certified facial plastic surgeon and a National Clinical Trainer for Allergan and Medicis. He teaches other doctors how to properly inject the Juvederm collection of fillers, including Volbella™. Doctors from all over the world refer to Dr. Naderi’s instructional videos on YouTube to fine tune and improve their own filler injection techniques.
Dr. Kulak is a facial plastic surgeon with a gentle and artistic, female touch. Her patient’s love her nearly-pain-free techniques. She focuses on facial rejuvenation with advanced minimally invasive techniques as well as more invasive face lift and eyelid lift surgeries.
Dr. Alexandra Snodgrass is a board certified dermatologist who trained with Dr. Shervin Naderi prior to joining The Naderi Center. Dr. Snodgrass is expert on a variety of filler types and injection area techniques. Dr. Snodgrass’s dermal filler injections create a noticeable yet natural rejuvenation of the face.
Dr. Erica Anderson, board certified plastic surgeon, performs facial filler injections as well as injections on the body. Dr. Erica Anderson is known for her Sculptra® Brazillian butt lift. Patient’s desiring to enhance non-facial areas of the body would seek the expert opinion and guidance of Dr. Anderson.
Dr. Shervin Naderi was just named part of the “Top 25 Injectors” by the 10 million member community of RealSelf. Out of 2000 nominees, Dr. Naderi was chosen as Top 25! This is a huge honor being recognized by the national and international community of RealSelf, the most trusted and authoritative site for all unbiased plastic surgery research.
Dr. Naderi is one of only 4 winners in the South East region of the United States. Patients regularly fly and drive to The Naderi Center from all over the country for his unique style of Botox and filler injections. Doctors all over the world regularly use his online tutorial videos to learn and enhance their own technique.
Schedule your Volbella™ Consultation
Juvederm Volbella™, other wrinkle-reducing dermal fillers, and Botox Cosmetics can dramatically improve the skin without surgery, taking years off of the appearance. If you would like more information on Volbella™ or any of the other noninvasive techniques available from The Naderi Center, schedule a consultation appointment. Fill out our online Contact Us form, or call the Reston, Virginia office at 703-481-0002 or the Chevy Chase, Maryland office at 301-222-2020.