Dysport®, an alternative to the neuromodulator Botox®, was FDA approved in 2009 for the treatment and prevention of facial wrinkles. Dysport®is a substance known as AbobotulinumtoxinA distributed by Medicis, the distributers of Restylane and Perlane. Dysport® works by relaxing and minimizing the movement of muscles that create unwanted facial lines. Reduction in wrinkles and smoother skin is achieved by injecting Dysport® directly into underlying muscles. Dysport’s results are noticed within 3 – 5 days after injection and can last up to 5 months. Dysport® may diffuse over a wider area from the injection sites than Botox®, potentially spreading better and giving a more softer look than Botox®.
Expected Results with Dysport®
- Smoother skin and reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the forehead and around the eyes
- Reduced appearance of gummy smile
- Diminished lines around the mouth
- A subtle “browlift,” by elevating the outer eyebrow
- Results may last 3 – 5 months
Ideal Candidates for Dysport® Injection
Good Candidates for Dysport® Injection
- Are in their late 20’s and early 30’s and desire to prevent formation of fine lines and wrinkles
- Women and men, 40 and older, desiring to reduce the appearance of “static” wrinkles
- Have over expression lines left by squinting or smiling in the eye and eyebrow region
- Desire a narrower jaw line and less square appearing face
- Desire less gum show with their smile
Dysport® Injection Techniques
Like Botox®, Dysport® blocks the signal from the nerve to the muscles, ultimately resulting in a reduction of muscle activity so that muscle contraction that causes frown lines is temporarily prevented. The untreated facial muscles continue to show facial expressions, such as smiling in untreated areas.
Two factors are important when achieving results with Dysport®
How many units of Dysport® are used?
Where is the Dysport® injected?
Dysport® comes in powder form in 300 unit sterile vials. Saline is added to the vial to reconstitute and dilute the powder. Too much saline, causes a wider diffusion of the Dysport® beyond the injection site, causing unwanted effects. Too little saline, will create insufficient volume to impact the entire muscle length. It is important to know how many units of Dysport® are being injected because the volume depends on the dilution. Unless you know your physician’s dilution ratio, knowing the amount and volume injected is not useful. The team of experts at The Naderi Center explain precisely how many units or the dosage of each of their injection.
Dysport® diffuses or spreads more than Botox® from its injection site which can be an advantage in the forehead or crow’s feet area, but it can also be a danger in novice inexperienced injectors’ hands, causing more eyelid drooping or ptosis.
Dr. Naderi is a terrific, knowledgeable and skilled physician. I trust his clinical judgement implicitly and he does beautiful aesthetic work. He takes time to ensure all of your questions are answered and is highly responsive even if questions arise outside of your appointment.
Dysport® Injection Site
Facial wrinkles form perpendicular to the muscle contracting. Dysport® must be injected into the muscles, not the wrinkle. The goal is to weaken your facial muscles, relaxing them and refreshing your appearance.
Forehead Dysport® Injection
- Frontalis Muscle: Soften forehead vertical lines
- Currugator Supercilii and Procerus Muscle: Smoothen vertical lines
- Option to create a browlift
Eyebrow Dysport® Injection
- Obicularis Oculi: Crow’s feet, smoothen lines on the outer corner of the eye
Nose Dysport® Injection
- Nasalis: Bunny lines
Premaxilla Dysport® Injection
- Gummy smile: Relax top lip and reduce gingival show
Jaw Dysport® Injection
- Masseter: Reduce broxism and make jaw more oval shaped
Mouth Dysport® Injection
- Treatment of marionette lines, lifting corners of mouth
Chin Dysport® Injection
- Mentalis: Reduce chin dimpling or “peau d’orange”
Neck Dysport® Injection
- Platysma Muscle: Reducing appearance of bands on the neck
Cost of Dysport® Injections
|Treatment||Physician Provider||Dr. Naderi|
|Botox® for sweating (armpits/hands)||$1000/100 units||$1000/100 units|
The Naderi Center participates with the Aspire® Galderma Rewards programs and Aspire rebates can be redeemed at the time of your appointment. The Naderi Center also offers a Customer Loyalty Rewards Program where patients receive 10% back in injection credit at their next a visit.
Dysport® Photo Gallery
Preparation for Dysport® Injections
2 Weeks Prior to Dysport® Injection
- To reduce and minimize bruising please follow our dietary restrictions. For 2 weeks before your appointment avoid nuts, seeds, fish, fish oil, NSAIDs, supplements, and anything that prolongs bleeding.
Day of Dysport® Injection
- Wear as little to no makeup as possible.
- Make sure you have eaten and your blood sugar is not low.
- Make sure you have drank plenty of water and are not dehydrated.
- Dress in cool comfortable clothes.
- Come in at least 30 minutes ahead of your appointment if you would like numbing cream.
- Make your appointment for the next time before leaving the office since our doctors’ schedules book out months in advance.
Immediately After your Dysport® Injection
- Use a small bag of frozen pees in a sandwich bag or crushed ice to gently ice the area. No heavy ice bags. Ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Usually after about an hour most of the swelling has gone down.
- No gym or exercise for 48 hours after injection.
- You can use water based makeup the same day to cover any bruises. You can use heavier makeup the next day.
- Do not manipulate, massage, rub, or poke the area.
- You can wash your face normally and gently.
- No facials for the first week.
- Taking Arnica (Arnica) tablets and eating pineapples can reduce bruising and swelling.
Recovery after Dysport® Injection
Dysport® injections are performed in the office and typically take between five and fifteen minutes to complete. We ask that you avoid rubbing your face. Recovery from Dysport® injections is minimal. Most patients are able to immediately return to their normal activities, though some minor redness or swelling may occur at the injection site. The results will begin to be visible in three to five days.
Similar to Botox®, Dysport® injections must be repeated three to four times per year for best results. The goal is to weaken the targeted muscles without allowing them to regain bulk or strength. Most patients find that results last an average of three to four months.
What to expect in days following Dysport® injection
- Bruising and swelling is to be expected but following our dietary restrictions can help greatly
- Dysport® take up to 2 weeks to fully work. You may start to notice effect as soon as 3 days but do not be surprised if you have to wait the full 2 weeks.
- Dysport® wears off in 3-5 months on average and must be repeated 3-4 times a year
- You will have some generalized soreness and swollen spots from the needle
Risks, Safety, and Potential Complications with Dysport® Injections
In relative terms, Dysport® is a safe substance when injected in the proper setting by a trained professional. The usual risks are minor bruises from the needle and minor swelling at injection sites.
Potential Complications from Dysport® Injections:
- Allergic Reaction
- Poor injection technique can create an over-injected or “frozen look.” Dysport® works by weakening certain muscles of expression and must be injected in a correct pattern for natural expression to continue while minimizing appearance of unwanted lines.
- Flu-like symptoms
- Eyebrow or eyelid droopiness, with possible double or blurry vision.
- Muscle stiffness or weakness can theoretically occur, especially in people with Myasthenia Gravis.
Dysport® injection specialists at The Naderi Center
The team at The Naderi Center are all board-certified plastic surgeons or dermatologists, each doctor highly experienced with their own artistic Dysport® injection approach. The physicians at The Naderi Center will examine your skin, discuss your aesthetic goals, and make a suggestion based upon your aesthetic goals. Like Botox®, Dysport® relaxes voluntary muscle movement in certain areas of the face, reducing or eliminating “dynamic wrinkles”, or wrinkles that are worsened by expression and facial muscle movement. The wrinkles already present, known as “static wrinkles”, cannot be removed with Dysport® alone. Additional procedures may be suggested for further enhancement, such as CO2 laser procedures or fillers.
Schedule Your Dysport® Injection Consultation
To find out more about if Dysport® is right for you contact The Naderi Center to schedule a consultation. Contact the Northern Virginia office at 703-481-0002 or the Chevy Chase, Maryland office at 301-222-2020. Although The Naderi Center is conveniently located for patients throughout the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. area, we have many patients from across the United States who come to our doctors because they know they are ultra-specialized in their area of expertise. Those outside of the immediate area may request a virtual consultation prior to their in office visit.
Dysport® Questions to Ask
Dysport® may be a start on your path to a more rejuvenated appearance. Although Dysport® has a more limited benefit in older patients when used alone, patients aged 40 to 70 and beyond can benefit from Dysport®. Combined with other procedures, patients are able to obtain optimum smooth results. Patients often require additional surgery such as lower facelift, brow lift, or eyelid lift in addition to Dysport® and laser treatment in order to obtain the smoothest results.
Men are excellent candidates for Dysport®, though they generally have heavier muscles than women and require more Dysport®. However, some men may choose a lower dose injection, leaving more muscle movement but receiving injections more frequently.