WATCH PRE-OP AND POST OP RECOVERY VIDEOS
Pre-Operative Instructions for Abdominoplasty
- ☐ Prescriptions
Submitted to your pharmacy. Your pharmacy should contact you when ready to pick up.
- ☐ Stool Softener (preferably MiraLAX)
Helps with constipation associated with narcotic pain relievers.
- ☐ Tylenol (Acetaminophen)
Alternative to narcotic pain medication if pain is not severe. Do NOT take NSAIDS.
- ☐ No-Slip Socks
To prevent accidental falls and aid in safe movement around home.
3-4 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY
- Obtain Medical Evaluation and Clearance. Make a visit to your primary care doctor to complete your medical evaluation and laboratory testing. Your surgeon may request for you to also be evaluated by a specialist. Please ensure any preoperative requests are completed 2 weeks before surgery.
- Work and Recovery Arrangements. Make any arrangements to be off from work or other strenuous activities while you are recovering from surgery. Have extra help available, particularly if caring for small children.
- Smoking. Tobacco, cigarettes and nicotine consumption will cause poor wound healing, longer healing times, and excessive scarring. We advise to discontinuing these products more than 4 weeks prior to surgery.
2 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY
- Surgery Preop Appointment. You will come in for your preop appointment where you will review the surgery plan with your surgeon and go over logistical surgery details with your patient coordinator. Bring your questions as well as any individuals that will be part of your support and healing.
- DIET/SUPPLEMENT RESTRICTIONS. Avoid foods, drinks and herbal supplements than can increase risk of bleeding and bruising. Avoid aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Motrin, blood thinners, vitamin E, omega-3, fish oil, and alcohol. Use Tylenol in place of other over the counter pain medications.
- Fill Prescriptions. These may include antibiotics and/or pain medication for after surgery. Make sure you understand how and when to take all medications. We suggest keeping a note pad to keep track of the medications you have taken.
NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT OR SURGERY WILL BE CANCELLED. If prescribed, take medications with a small sip of water.
- Set Up Home Recovery Area. This may include pillows, blankets, books, television, and anything else to assist with a comfortable recovery.
- Bathing. You can shower but do not apply lotion, perfume, hair product, etc.
DAY OF SURGERY
- Dress Comfortably: Dress in comfortable, clean, and loose-fitting clothes. Shirts that can be buttoned or zipped up are preferred.
- DO NOT wear any makeup, jewelry, cosmetic creams, hair products, deodorant, sunscreen, and remove all piercings.