2 years ago, I got Bio Alcamid injected in the nasolabial folds and the cheeks. In middle February of this year, I woke up one morning with a swollen cheek at the right side of my face. I went immediately to the hospital, where I stayed for about 3 weeks. There they assessed an abscess including a foreign substance reaction. At the beginning, the doctor made a puncture to get pus out of the cheek. A lot of pus drained through the puncture site. I also I startetd an antibiotic therapy. After five days, he made a splitting-off in the mouth, so that recoming pus can flow out. The doctor assessed, that the cheek was filled again with pus. So he decided to operate from the inside of the mouth and took a buttstrap in the mouth. But the infection/foreign substance reaction didn’t become better and the cheek was still filled with pus. The operation is now five weeks ago. 2 weeks ago, the doctor took out the buttstrap, but the cheek was again filled with secretion, so that he made a new splitting-off and took a new buttstrap in the mouth. Now the buttstrap is still inside and secretion still comes out. Since 2 weeks, and a few-days-antibiotica-break, I got again oral antibiotica. I still take them. The question is now, if the antibiotica can reach the infected Bio Alcamid? I’m afraid that the infection don’t stop. What can I do to fight to infection and how it can become heal? Surgically the danger is too big to damage to nerve? Are there any alternatives? Can the infected gel ease/calm down or can it reinfect someday again?
I am sorry to hear you are going through all this. This is precisely why I advocate not using permanent fillers for major volume augmentation in the face. While any implant can get infected, cheek implants can be removed but implanted injectable fillers cannot be removed easily once seeded by bacteria.
You need to have a multi-team approach. You need to be managed at a major tertiary care medical center so that the Plastic Surgeons, Head and Neck Surgeons and Infectious Disease specialists can collaborate together. You may need IV antibiotics for a prolonged period of months or you may need actual surgical debridement despite its risks.
Just make sure you get many 2nd opinions. I wish I had a solution for you.