WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR MICRONEEDLING TREATMENT
After microneedling your skin will be red and flushed similar to if you had a moderate sunburn. Redness should be greatly reduced within 24-48 hours. You may experience swelling, burning, itching, bruising, soreness, skin tightness, flakiness, sensitivity and dryness. It may take up to 5-7 days for the skin to heal depending on the extensiveness of your treatment. Make sure to wash your face with only cool water and mild cleanser provided and pat dry skin. A Mineral based sunscreen of SPF 30+ should be applied and reapplied every 60-90 minutes while outdoors.
- Use gentle skincare products. Use ONLY your post-treatment products for the first four days after your treatment. No vitamin A products for 7 days post treatment (Retin A, Retinol, Tazorac). No exfoliating medications, toners, harsh chemical products or devices for at least 7 days post treatment. No chemical peels for 14 days post treatment.
- Treatment of Pain/Discomfort. Ice packs and Tylenol can be used if you are feeling discomfort or swelling. Do not use anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin or Ibuprofen as they may decrease the desired inflammatory benefits of micro-needling.
- Bruising and Swelling. Eat fresh pineapples or drink pineapple juice to minimize bruising and swelling. Arnica supplements can be taken to help with any bruising.
- No sun exposure. Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 14 days, ideally 30 days after the procedure. This also includes avoiding tanning beds or self-tanning products.
- Do not pick at skin. No picking at any flaking skin or scabs and avoid using any exfoliating skincare products.
- Shaving. Do not shave for 3 days after procedure and longer if the skin is still irritated.
- Exercise and Heat. No sweating, exercising, jacuzzi, sauna or steam bath until skin irritation has resolved (3-7 days).
DAY 1 AFTER MICRONEEDLING
It is normal and expected for skin to feel red, stingy, sunburnt, tight, dry, swollen and sensitive to the touch. Drink plenty of water, avoid make-up and use only the products in your posttreatment kit. You may reapply the kit moisturizer repeatedly throughout the day. Stay away from exfoliants or glycolic acids that are present in other cleaners as these can make your skin very dry after the procedure. Use Tylenol for pain but avoid Motrin and Ibuprofen as these may decrease the wanted effects of the procedure. Avoid the sun exposure. If PRP was included in your treatment, do not wash off the PRP solution until the morning after your treatment.
DAY 2 AFTER MICRONEEDLING
Sensations similar to day 1. Skin feels dry, tight and red. Use your post-treatment cleanser and cream. Use your post-treatment care kit as instructed. Do not use any of your own products.
DAY 3 AFTER MICRONEEDLING
Pink. Less swelling. Mineral make-up is okay to start using. Continue with post-treatment care kit. Your skin may start to flake or peel. Do not pick or exfoliate the skin.
DAY 4 AFTER MICRONEEDLING
Minimal swelling, minimal bruising, may have some flaking. May start to use your own mild cleanser and moisturizers. Continue with sunscreen use. You may resume exercise.
DAY 5 AFTER MICRONEEDLING
Starting to look great! Resume regular products for skin, including vitamin A products. Continue to avoid sun exposure. There may be areas that are darker that flake off after a week.
DAY 8-28 AFTER MICRONEEDLING
Avoid direct sun exposure. When outdoors use sunscreen with a minimum SPF 30 and reapply every 1- 1½ hours.